School Network Staff Senior Manager, Development
About Code Nation
Code Nation is a community of high school students, technologists, teachers, business leaders, and other champions. A movement spanning cities, cultures, and industries, our community builds bridges across social and economic divides and unites people with the power to change each others’ lives.
Code Nation equips students with the skills, experiences, and connections that together create access to careers in technology. With a volunteer teaching cohort of over 300 professional web and software developers and a network of school and company partners, we provide coding courses and work-based learning programs to students who attend under-resourced high schools. Our industry-aligned curriculum and vast network of supporters provide students with the tech skills and social capital they need to break into the tech workforce.
During the 2021-22 school year Code Nation served more than 1,200 students in more than 50 schools and through 77 programs across the Bay Area, Chicago, and New York City. Nearly 250 software developers volunteered to provide in-person and remote learning in support of Code Nation’s mission across all of our communities.
Code Nation is committed to becoming an inclusive, pro-Black, and anti-racist organization. Ideal candidates are committed to educational and tech equity and working against institutional inequities. We believe that anyone can learn to code, and everyone should have access to careers in the thriving tech workforce.
Code Nation is a growing national nonprofit aiming to continue increasing and diversifying its revenue. In the upcoming fiscal year, Code Nation is projected to raise approximately $6 million total with almost half coming from national fundraising. At the national level, there are less than 75 donors and 5 partners giving $1M+. Historically Code Nation has been very successful with major investments from foundations and in the years ahead is looking to maintain this revenue stream while also establishing a major giving program for individuals and securing more major corporate donations with the ultimate goal of significantly expanding our donor base.
Code Nation is seeking a Senior Manager, Development and is eager to identify a professional who is passionate about the work we are doing to challenge structural inequities in the tech sector, and who has the skills necessary to strategically and effectively manage a portfolio of national donor and prospect relationships including foundations, companies and individuals. The Senior Manager, Development will be responsible for tracking & managing progress against national fundraising goals; ensuring excellent donor interactions, events and communications; and capturing important donor information for institutional knowledge. They will report to the Managing Director, Development and partner closely with the CEO to strategically and efficiently manage all national funding relationships in ways that grow the investments of existing donors and aims to diversify and expand the national donor base.
In the first year, the Senior Manager, Development will partner closely with the Managing Director, Development to maintain strong national donor relationships while the organization navigates a CEO transition and the onboarding of a new CEO and will also work as part of a team to identify a robust list of prospects to pursue. Ultimately, a candidate who assumes this position will be successful if they prioritize building strong and mutually beneficial relationships, enjoys working as part of a highly collaborative team, and is able to effectively communicate and manage up to senior leaders to take action.
The salary range for this position is $72,000 – 90,000.
Location is remote friendly, but must be within reasonable commuting distance to one of the regional offices for monthly or quarterly meetings.
The primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Development Planning & Monitoring Progress
- Work closely with the Managing Director, Development and CEO to create the fundraising strategy and operational plans in order to reach annual and long-term fundraising goals
- Manage the implementation of the fundraising strategy and execute in alignment with the operational plans
- Monitor and assess progress to fundraising goals, communicate gaps and areas to adjust course to the Managing Director, Development and CEO as necessary
- Partner with the Managing Director, Development and CEO to develop strong prospecting and new donor cultivation practices to grow the number of national donors
Donor Relationship Management
- Work closely with the Managing Director, Development and CEO to create donor and prospect engagement plans in order to build and maintain strong relationships with funders
- Manage the execution of donor and prospect engagement plans
- Prioritize key actions for Managing Director, Development and/or CEO to take in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects
- Prepare and support Managing Director, Development and/or CEO for donor interactions including: preparing meeting briefs, drafting correspondence, gathering stories and data points, creating donor-specific materials, and joining in on meetings to take notes or offer additional perspective
- Prepare and support national board members for donor interactions if/when needed
- Participate in donor and prospect interactions with the Managing Director, Development and/or CEO as needed
- Serve as the secondary point of contact for national donors and prospects as needed which includes participating in donor and prospect interaction with the Managing Director, Development and/or CEO and taking lead on some of the regular communication
- As the national portfolio of donors grows, serve as relationship lead for a portfolio of donors at smaller giving levels which includes being the primary point of contact, cultivating and soliciting the donor for a gift, and ensuring effective and consistent touch points are occurring
- Set and manage a calendar of mass communications to keep national donors regularly informed on progress, highlights and impact; taking the lead on drafting updates for the CEO and/or Managing Director, Development and managing the listserv
- Plan and coordinate excellent donor/prospect events
- Coordinate with regional and national program staff to identify local events that might be of interest to invite national donors to
- Partner with other development staff on the planning and execution of the end of year giving campaign & other online giving campaigns as needed
Case For Investment
- Gather new stories of impact, data points and other information to keep national case for investment & key talking points current & compelling
- Delegate to Development Associate to ensure all grants deadlines are accurately tracked so that no deadlines are missed, delegating
- Take lead on the writing of proposals and reports and/or partner with external Grant Writer to compile, draft and prepare grant submissions
- Delegate to Development Associate to keep donor and gift information accurate and up to date in Salesforce and other information systems
- Oversee Development Associate’s work to identify, research and vet new prospects
- Ensure adherence to all organizational fundraising policies, systems and processes
- Provide input and feedback on creation and revision of organizational fundraising policies, systems and processes
Skills and Qualifications
Success in this position will require, but not be limited to, the following proven experiences and competencies:
What you’ve accomplished (required):
- Managed a portfolio of donors and prioritized key actions and information for senior leaders
- What you’ve either done or would be excited to learn here:
- Grant writing
- Executed or supported strong grants management
- Executed or supported with individual giving campaigns
- Skills you have developed and knowledge you have acquired:
- Ability to break down goals and strategies into actionable steps, leverage manager for strategic support rather than execution accountability, and to organize and keep track of many projects, deadlines, and priorities
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across functions
- Ability to effectively manage up actions and information for senior leaders to act on
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, and handle and prioritize simultaneous requests
- Must demonstrate ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with external stakeholders
- Strategic thinker who uses data to assess progress and adjust course as needed
- Proficiency with Google Suite, familiarity with Salesforce a plus
How you work and what you value:
- Prioritizes building strong and mutually beneficial relationships
- Deep commitment to tech equity
- Deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Enjoys working collaboratively and as part of a team driving together towards outcomes
- Enjoy iterative work
- Ability to drive results
- Thorough and detail-oriented
- Proactive, resourceful and flexible
- Possesses a true growth orientation and is keenly aware of their own skills and learning needs
What You Can Expect
Code Nation has a high-performing culture characterized by our desire to provide our staff members with the support, resources, and information they need to be successful in our organization and in the non-profit field in general. If you take on this position, you can expect to be offered a compensation package, including salary and benefits, that will be commensurate with your experience and competitive within the non-profit sector. Some of the benefits we offer to our staff members include, but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance and a Flex spending account for out of pocket medical costs
- Generous Time Off policy-15 days of paid time off & 14 paid holidays/office closures
- 401k Retirement Plan
Code Nation employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.