Finance Staff Accountant
Position: Staff Accountant
Reports to: Controller
Location: STRIVE Prep- Central Office (Denver, CO)
Start Date: Immediate (Flexible)
STRIVE Prep is a Denver-based community of public charter schools that challenges every student to strive for college and thrive throughout life by helping them to discover and develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence necessary to succeed in college and beyond. We encourage you to read our 2020 Impact Report and learn more about what a career at STRIVE Prep is like here.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
The staff accountant is responsible for performing a variety of bookkeeping and accounting duties including but not limited to: financial record maintenance and transactions such as accounts payable, commercial card reconciliation, accounts receivable; assisting public fund reimbursements and preparation for annual audit. This role requires professionalism and tact in communications with a variety of individuals, strong time management skills, acute attention to detail, and the ability to work well with schools’ administrative teams.
- A process payment request with the required paperwork and approval on a weekly basis
- Bookkeep the API entry with the correct fund code, GL code, grant code, job code, program code, effective date, transaction amount, and description
- Create the positive pay report on the same day when the checks are mailed
- Maintain and organize a completed AP record/files (copy of checks, invoices, approval emails, ACH vouchers, credit card payment receipt, etc.)
- Request the W-9, ACH info form and the acceptable payment methods from the new vendors to establish the vendor profile
- Update the AP status to the Controller at the weekly check-in
- Assist the Controller to reconcile the accruals and track the payment status
- Maintain and organize the monthly bank transaction folder
- Reconcile the supporting files with the bank records
- On a semi-monthly basis, bookkeep the bank disbursement and cash receipt entries with the correct fund code, GL code, grant code, job code, program code, effective date, transaction amount and description
- Bookkeep the monthly earnings from the investment account
- Bookkeep the monthly PERA entry, HSA entry, and 401K entry
- Bookkeep the journal entries provided by the Controller and maintain the supporting files
- Assist Controller to prepare for the annual auditing/other accounting projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other related fields
- 3 years experience in bookkeeping and AP clerk
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and MS-Office Suite
- Demonstrated experience in an accounting role while working with multiple stakeholders
- Experience with Abila MIP Fund accounting
- Experience in governmental accounting
- Certified Public Accountant license
- Competitive Compensation and benefits including paying 100% of individual benefits.
- On average, our network provides a 4% annual salary increase which is one of the highest in the Denver education market.
- STRIVE Prep 5 Year Club: After 5 years of continual employment, all employees are eligible for your choice of 3 weeks paid Sabbatical or a payout.
- Industry high 6+ weeks of annual vacation/PTO. Hard work is rewarded with ample time to refresh.
- Participation in the Colorado PERA retirement program, including a PERA 401k option.
- Opportunity to work with passionate, mission-driven colleagues who are invested in your personal and professional growth.
- Equipment provided: laptop
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
STRIVE Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. STRIVE Prep works to make a college preparatory education for all students in our community the norm, rather than the exception. To achieve this we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse team by maintaining hiring and recruiting processes that are free from bias.