Finance Staff Accountant
Salary Range: Starting at $5,000 – 5833.33 (monthly). Commensurate with experience.
The Colorado Charter School Institute (CSI) is a statewide charter school authorizer whose mission is to foster high-quality public-school choices offered through charter schools, particularly schools that are focused on closing the achievement gap for at-risk students. Governed by a board of nine members appointed by the Governor and Commissioner of Education, CSI currently serves a diverse portfolio of 42 schools across the state of Colorado serving over 20,000 students. CSI is uniquely positioned to serve and promote charter school innovation in communities throughout Colorado and to be a leader in improvements in authorizer practices. CSI aspires to continue growing the quality and quantity of its portfolio of schools in Colorado in response to the need for high quality, innovative charter school options. Our organization is at an extraordinary point of opportunity and is poised to make additional systemic changes that will yield improvements within the portfolio’s overall student achievement.
Visit our website to learn more
Please note: Applications will be reviewed as they are received. This position is non-classified and is not subject to appeal rights.
CSI is looking for a self-motivated Staff Accountant to join our Finance team. The ideal candidate will be proficient in excel, detail-oriented, adaptable, and have some State government and/or school finance experience. Our organization offers a positive, collaborative and mission driven culture. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply!
Please see below for a complete position description:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ROLE-SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide complete accounting support to CSI’s School Food Authority (SFA).
- School food program budgets and year end reporting compilation
- Monthly claim and payment coordination
- Assemble year end pipeline data for our SFA fund
- Calculate and record monthly staff time and effort adjustments for grant reimbursements
- Coordinate, track, and review submissions of CSI school quarterly reports
- Lead the submission of CSI school’s transportation reimbursement and resulting payments
- Assist with financial impacts of closing schools as needed
- Provide technical accounting guidance and payment details to CSI schools as requested
- Perform year end close tasks as assigned by the controller
- Pro Card Administrator for the State Commercial Card program
- Journal Entry reclasses and account reconciliations
- Assist Controller with school budgets, audits, and assurances reviews
- Vendor set up and EFT management in the State finance system (CORE)
- Warrant Escheatment tracking
- Ensure CSI school’s are in compliance with financial transparency requirements
- Various daily/monthly tasks as assigned by the Controller
As an employee of the Colorado Charter School Institute (State of Colorado), you will have access to a variety of benefits to include medical, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation and sick time, flexible scheduling, a work-life balance culture, no-cost life and disability insurance (with additional paid options), Flex Spending and Health Savings Account options, professional development opportunities, wellness offerings, a performance based bonus and membership in Colorado Public Employees’ Retirement Association (PERA).
CSI INCLUSION STATEMENT
CSI recognizes that autonomy and diversity can drive innovation and improved outcomes, both in our schools and in our organization. We are committed to a diverse and culturally inclusive workplace as we believe that differences in perspective and experiences broaden our awareness, enrich our daily experiences, and contribute to our collective strength.
As a charter school authorizer with schools that serve a wide range of communities across the state, we prioritize recruiting a staff that shares the diversity of the students and communities our schools serve. CSI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on gender, race, color, religion or belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
At a minimum, we are looking for the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Minimum of 3 years of Accounting experience
- Strong time-management and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail, professional written and verbal communication skills, and familiarity with modern workplace software programs and tools
- All final candidates must successfully pass a thorough criminal background check.
Ideal candidates will have some, or all, of the following education, skills, and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (5+ years of successful work experience can be substituted for a degree)
- Proficient in Excel
- Experience using CORE (State Finance System) or other accounting software
- State government and/or school finance experience
LOCATION & TRAVEL
This position may be partially remote for some period due to COVID-19 restrictions but will require full time availability during regular business hours in our Downtown Denver office at 1600 Broadway when restrictions are reduced.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment includes a standard office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. CSI may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable.
- Remote interview process
- Mostly virtual meetings for the time being
- Social distancing guidelines in place (when in the office)
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place (at the physical office)