Instructional Support Student Advocate
Colorado High School Charter is seeking a Student Advocate at our GES Campus in Denver, Colorado for the 2021-2022 school year. CHSC GES provides students with an unique and innovative learning experience that allows them to recover credits through project-based core classes (Math, Scoence, Social Studies and English Language Arts) while taking advantage of numerous concurrent enrollment and community partner opportunities in a learning environment committed to equity and inclusivity.
The Student Advocate supports students and works towards removing barriers to student success through outreach, caseload management, data tracking and supportive interventions.
Colorado High School Charter Overview
Colorado High School Charter (CHSC) is a 9-12 public charter school in Denver whose mission is to transform the alternative education experience by igniting the potential within each of the diverse young people we serve. CHSC is one of the leading alternative education campuses in Denver, with student achievement data consistently showing notable growth. As member of the CHSC team, you will have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with your students while receiving regular coaching and professional development to allow you to make a difference for students who have not found success elsewhere. www.coloradohighschoolcharter.com
What makes working at CHSC exciting?
- Constant learning through regular coaching and professional development
- A focus on student personal and academic growth achieved through tailored curricula, a supportive school environment and community partnerships
- Social emotional support for students to remove barriers in and out of the classroom so ALL students can be successful
- A great staff culture that regularly celebrates student and staff achievement
- CHSC has experienced increased enrollment; word is spreading about our amazing work.
What do we look for in candidates?
- You are passionate about education in an alternative education setting and are excited about Colorado High School’s mission.
- You recognize the value of learning through real-world application and are eager to help all students consider a range of career paths.
- You have experience or a strong desire to work with young people who have struggled personally or academically in conventional school settings.
- You value developing trusting and often transformative relationships with students.
- You are a team player who helps create a positive, vibrant school culture.
Student Advocate chief responsibilities:
- Manage full student body caseload, approximately 75-85 students
- Accurately document communication between oneself, students and families.
- Build relationships with youth while engaging them in school
- Track student attendance and develop multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS)
- Manage/Coordinate Teacher/Student Attendance Challenges
- Manage/Coordinate Quarterly Awards Program
- Engage parents/guardians through phone calls, meetings, home visits
- Actively participate in Parent/Teacher Conferences and Family Night Events
- Tutor students inside and outside the classroom to support academic achievement
- Address barriers to student achievement by connecting students to local community services and school-based resources
- Collaborate as a team with CHSC staff to increase attendance, reduce truancy, eliminate dropouts, and improve academic performance
Student Advocate auxiliary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead, support, and willingly engage with Restorative Justice practices
- Conduct, promote, and support after-school study halls to increase student achievement
- Liaison with in and out of district transitions officers to enroll new CHSC students
- Assist with enrollment and recruitment
- Other duties as assigned by the Administration Team
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Reliability with commitment to follow through
- Self-starter seeking to work and take initiative in fast paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to details
- Permanent US work authorization
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle
- College degree
- Experience working with diverse students and families
- Proficiency in using Infinite Campus
- Bilingual Spanish/English
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with education and experience ($40,000-$60,000). We offer a comprehensive benefits package.