School Network Staff System Administrator
Position Title: System Administrator
Direct Supervisor: IT Manager/Director
Contracted Length Term: 252 Days – District Office
Salary: District Office – “Tech Coord” (Salary range $52,545-$69,047)
Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance, $50,000 life insurance policy, PERA (retirement), paid holidays, vacation, sick and personal leave, professional development opportunities and support, EAP services
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Systems Administrator ensures the secure and reliable operation of the Montrose County School District’s (MCSD) current server and desktop infrastructure while planning for future designs that keep pace with continued growth and evolution. This includes working with colleagues, customers and vendors on the planning, development, installation, configuration, maintenance, and support of all MCSD systems hardware, software, and communication links.
- Administration of systems infrastructure to include Windows, Mac, Linux, VMWare, Hyper-V, and Azure, Office/Microsoft 365.
- Windows server administration to include Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, File/Print, Global Catalog, FMSO, Group Policy, and Secure Remote Desktop, PowerShell
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, virtualization, backup, and analytics
- Works successfully in collaborative teams to resolve issues and meet organizational requirements for server and application performance, security, and reliability.
- Using various tools, collects and analyzes server performance data from multiple sources to assess real-time server and application performance as well as tracking long-term trends and establishing baseline performance standards.
- Researches and evaluates existing and emerging server and security technologies for their suitability in meeting MCSD’s current and future requirements.
- Works as part of the larger IT team to develop innovative solutions that meet existing and future requirements.
- Interacts and negotiates with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services. This may include drafting and revising statements of work and project oversight to ensure the contract goals are met.
- Works independently or on teams to identify opportunities for automation and efficiency.
- Creates and maintain technical documentation as it relates to systems configuration, network mapping, processes, and services for the IT knowledge base.
- Creates and maintains server diagrams using standard tools, such as Visio, draw.io, or LucidChart.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for systems administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
- Takes a lead role in systems security best practices, collaborating with other security staff on proactive hardening, monitoring, incident response and recovery.
- Practice systems asset management, including maintenance of systems component inventory and related documentation.
- Partners with the senior support staff to ensure helpdesk tickets are resolved in a timely and accurate manner.
Works under the direction of the Information Technology Manager and establishes methods and procedures for attaining specific goals and objectives and receives guidance in terms of broad goals.
Exercises indirect supervision of contractors, interns and other IT staff as the situation may require. This may include acting in a lead role of a project, as well as mentoring or training others. Management oversight of the help desk system. May provide leadership and oversees the activities of the staff when the Information Technology Manager is absent.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, computer science or related field of study.
- A combination of education, certifications, and/or experience will be considered in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a systems administration role or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities required.
- Experience in all or most of the following: Microsoft DNS, DHCP, AD, Group Policy, Secure Remote Desktop, Print Server, File Server, and server configuration
- VMWare Vsphere, Vcenter, and ESXi
- Server Hardware/Software proficiency of Standard and Hyper Converged systems
- Linux administration, PowerShell, and scripting a plus
- Experience in centralized management of a multi-campus system in a multi OS environment
- Certifications that demonstrate general systems expertise or mastery of a particular discipline or technology preferred. Examples may include certifications from: Cisco, Juniper, Ciena, HP, Dell, SolarWinds, VMware, CompTIA, etc.
- General office practices and procedures.
- Routine software and business application including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Read and comprehend department and MCSD rules, regulations, policies and standard operating procedures.
- Provide attention to detail.
- Well-developed troubleshooting and logical reasoning skills.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
- Advanced skills in configuring and troubleshooting DNS, DHCP, AD and other Microsoft server
- Implementing systems security best practices and administration of servers
- Proven success working in a collaborative environment on various teams.
- Knowledge of VMware fundamentals and experience working in a VMware environment.
- Knowledge of Backup Solutions and Disaster Recovery
The physical requirements indicated below are examples of the physical aspects that this position classification must perform in carrying out essential job functions.
- Persons performing service in this position classification will exert 5 to 75 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- This type of work involves sitting, walking, and/or standing.
- Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by weather may occasionally be experienced.
- Perceiving the nature of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, providing oral information, the manual dexterity to operate business related equipment, and handle and work with various materials and objects are important aspects of this job.
- CBI/FBI background clearance and a clean driving record.
- Valid driver’s license.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.