AXIS International Academy offers an unique opportunity for teachers to be leaders in and outside their classroom. We seek teachers who love to teach, but who also love to learn and inspire. Our teachers are innovators and committed professionals who like to implement best practices to accelerate student learning in two languages. We value and incorporate teacher feedback into our school decisions. Our staff culture is supportive, collaborative, and diligent. We offer individualized professional development opportunities to help our teachers grow their own skills and accomplish their short-term and long-term professional goals. Our teachers thrive in an international work environment right in Fort Collins, Colorado, a college town nationals-known as one of the best places to live.
About AXIS: AXIS International Academy is a K-5 charter school offering Core Knowledge curricula through language immersion. All students learn Spanish, Chinese, or French half of the day. We are one of three schools at the new Fort Collins Academic Center of Excellence located at 2130 W. Horsetooth Road, Fort Collins, CO 80526, along with AXIS International Preschool (18 months-5 years) and Colorado Early Colleges Middle School.
The mission of AXIS International Academy is to empower learners to be thriving citizens of character in their local and global communities by instilling four educational priorities:
- Academic excellence through Core Knowledge and Singapore Math;
- X (Cross)-cultural (global) competence;
- Immersion in world languages though a research-based 50/50 language immersion model (Spanish, French, or Chinese);
- Social-emotional and cognitive skills development to foster soft skills and strong character (respect, responsibility, integrity, honesty, and cooperation).
Position Title: Elementary Teacher
Status: Full-time Exempt
Supervisor: Head of School, AXIS International Academy Fort Collins
Period: Professional Development begins July 28 and continues weekdays until August 16, 2019. First day of School is August 19, 2019. Last Day of School is May 22, 2020. Full week off at Thanksgiving, over two weeks of for Christmas/Winter break, and a week at Spring Break (same as CSU and Poudre School District). Work day is 7:45-4:00, and school day is 8:00-3:15.
Broad Scope of the Position
The teacher will teach core subjects (math, literacy, language arts, science and social studies) in English to two cohorts of students participating in our 50/50 dual language immersion model All curricula and materials are provided and are evidence-based, high-quality materials including Core Knowledge Language Arts and Singapore Math. The teacher will team with partner language-speaking teachers (Spanish, French, or Chinese), who will teach the other half-day lessons in the core subjects in the partner language with the same students, but at opposite times. Teachers have planning and collaboration time for 45 minutes each day while students attend music, art or PE aligned with the Core Knowledge Scope and Sequence. We currently have flexibility in grade level assignment, and teacher candidates may share their grade-level preferences where applicable.
-Previous teaching experience or experience working with children
-Colorado teaching license, not required but encouraged
Salary: To commensurate with experience and our full-time salary schedule equivalent. Position includes health benefits and retirement benefits through Colorado Public Employee Retirement Association copera.org.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
For questions please contact: Kari Anne Calarco, co-founder and Head of School at AXIS International Academy info@AXIScolorado.org or (970) 372-2374.
Teaching at AXIS
Because AXIS is passionate about learning, we seek teachers who will expertly develop student knowledge, skills, and language (English and Spanish, Chinese, or French). We select staff who believe strongly in our values, mission, and educational philosophy. We value diversity across all areas, and we are an equal opportunity employer. Please read our AXIS Vision for Teachers to learn more.
To ensure we reach our AXIS International Academy vision and mission, we seek teaching professionals who:
- Share a passion for children, for the teaching profession, and for the AXIS mission.
- Model AXIS values – respect, empathy, honesty, integrity, responsibility, perseverance, and cooperation.
- Believe in synergy, collective impact, and collaboration.
- Set high expectations and commit to continuous improvement.
- Display strong organizational, planning, and time-management abilities.
- Provide a nurturing, structured, and learning-centered classroom environment.
- Possess knowledge and apply evidence-based practices in instructional planning and delivery.
- Seek to master and apply AXIS foundational frameworks and AXIS mission-aligned curriculum.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships with students, colleagues, and parents.
- Nurtures the whole child and supports each child to achieve their personal best academically, socially, emotionally, and cognitively
- Advocates for students’ needs
- Provides lessons for social-emotional learning and cognitive skills development
- Uses positive behavior interventions and supports
- Assumes personal responsibility for student achievement on school performance goals
- Approaches teaching practice with a sense of urgency to maximize instructional time
- Focuses relentlessly on results
- Facilitates student learning through use of active learning strategies and student engagement practices
- Designs/Uses informal assessments to measure student progress and growth
- Uses data and assessment to monitor students’ response to instruction and intervention
- Maintain accurate records, assessment data, and data tracking systems
- Reinforces SEL lessons and positive behavior supports to respond to behavior concerns and build a strong classroom culture
- Instructs using research-based direct and indirect teaching strategies
- Scaffolds instructional activities that facilitate engaging and appropriate learning opportunities, including inquiry-based learning units
- Utilizes backward design model to create and align units, lessons, activities and assessments
- Utilizes standards-based report cards and supports students in leading student-led conferences
- Provides intervention on a continuous basis and writes student individual or group intervention plans as needed
- Collaborates regularly with team teacher(s) and student services specialist
- Participates actively in collaborative Impact teamsand on MTSS teams for students in her classroom and other students as needed
- Collaborates with principal in pursuit of professional development goals aligned with school performance goals
- Communicates regularly with families about academic progress and behavior and/or attendance, includes strengths and needs
- Build and maintains strong relationships with students, family, and colleagues
- Participate in daily duties (i.e. arrival, lunch, dismissal) to support school operations
- Assist with both student and staff recruitment
- Assist Business Manager on occasional and specific marketing requests
- Attend school-wide events
How to ApplyOur Hiring Process The first step in the application process includes the submission of our online application, a resume, and letter of intent:
- Complete Online Application: Areas of the application are Contact Information, Education, Skills/Experience, References, and Self-Disclosure. Please see below for additional details.
- Email Resume and Letter of Intent to info@AXIScolorado.org.
- The letter of intent should include information highlighting the candidate's background, vision, fit at AXIS, and insight into their philosophy on teaching and learning.
- The resume should detail the applicant's complete employment history including the following information for each position:
- Phone conversation with AXIS Team Member.
- Partner Language Screening (for Mandarin, French, or Spanish teacher applicants): This screening is a 15-minute phone call to verify native-like language proficiency based on the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines. The call will take place with a member of the AXIS Teacher Recruitment, Hiring, Development, and Evaluation Committee who is also a native-like speaker of the partner language. AXIS strives to hire teachers with language proficiency levels at or above "Advanced-Mid.” If additional information is needed to verify the candidate's language proficiency, the candidate may provide evidence of proficiency through completion of a third-party assessment (i.e. Oral Proficiency Interview or OPI test, etc.).
- Submission of sample teaching lesson (video or audio) and reflection of lesson addressing the lesson's objectives, if objectives were met, how you know, what went well, and what you would do differently. The video should only include footage of the applicant and not students.
- Panel interview by AXIS members to assess evidence and fit based on the AXIS mission and teacher competencies. The interview typically lasts 45-60 minutes and includes 3-5 members from the AXIS team, the AXIS Board, AXIS parents, and members of the AXIS Teacher Recruitment, Hiring, Development, and Evaluation Committee.
- Calls to references may occur at any time throughout the process.
966 total views, 2 today