Teacher Teacher (Various Grades & Subjects)
WHO WE ARE
Cornerstone Education Group is a non-profit organization that manages the Cornerstone Charter School network in Detroit, serving the community for nearly 30 years. Our Mission is to prepare our students to live a Complete Life through an excellent education, a foundation of strong character, meaningful relationships, and real-world experiences for career and/or college. We need further to encourage our broad and beloved Cornerstone community to live the Complete Life as well. We seek to hire top talent to help us fulfill this great mission.
THE CORNERSTONE FAMILY
Our faculty, staff, parents and students are all part of the Cornerstone family. We work hard together to help each other succeed. If you want to work alongside a group of people who are passionate about what they do, the city in which they do it, and the families they serve, then Cornerstone is the right place for you.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Building Leader
INCENTIVE: $3,500 Signing Bonus for the 22-23 SY
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Creates a classroom that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students
- Develop and implement course objectives and outlines, which provide appropriate student learning experiences
- Support and actively engage in the alignment of the Career and Character Pillars
- Maintain a high quality of student activities including alignment with organization and state standards
- Prepare and maintain accurate and complete student records, including student achievement and attendance
- Demonstrate a confident working knowledge of assigned content area(s), including appropriate instructional strategies and available resources
- Plan and execute individual and group activities that stimulate growth in the cognitive, affective, and physical dimensions of each student
- Utilize a variety of instructional materials/resources and multiple strategies, including technology, to enhance student learning
- Establish and maintain an orderly and supportive classroom environment that maximizes student learning
- Communicate continually with students on learning and achievement expectations and their progress in meeting those expectations
- Maintain continuous communication with parents/guardians to keep them informed of the progress of their child
- Assign work to and supervise assigned paraprofessional, if applicable
- Leverage data to drive decision making
- Build, further develop, and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, staff, and others
- Consistently maintain work habits, appearance, and behavior that serve as a positive model for students
- Expand knowledge and skills by participating in professional development opportunities
- Maintains confidentiality, while upholding FERPA and mandated reporting requirements
- Performs other job relevant duties as assigned
HERE’S WHAT EVERYONE AT CORNERSTONE DOES
- Support and actively engage in the alignment of Career Pathways’ workforce readiness initiatives and curriculum
- Provide excellent customer service to students, parents, staff, vendors and other visitors
- Leverage data to drive decision making
- Build, further develop and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, staff, community members and others
- Consistently maintain work habits, appearance and behavior that serve as a positive model for students
- Expand your knowledge and skills by participating in professional development opportunities
HERE’S WHY WE WILL LOVE YOU
- You have earned a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Education or additional area (MDE alternative path to certification accepted)
- Current State of Michigan certification in subject/grade level of consideration
- You have previous experience working directly with children and enjoy working with them
- You have demonstrated computer skills (MS Word, Web Navigation, etc.) and are not intimidated by technology
- You love building positive rapport with staff, students, parents and others
- You possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- You know how to bring your own brand of creativity and passion to your work in order to enhance learning.
- You are able to successfully manage a classroom of students to foster an environment of learning and development
- You have the ability to plan engaging individual and group activities that stimulate growth and learning for each student
- You are flexible in terms of taking teaching assignments across the network (not limited to a single school or class)
- You possess attributes inherent in our Love. Learn. Lead. philosophy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting, standing and walking for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate assigned equipment and a computer keyboard
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone
- Reaching overhead and above shoulders to retrieve files and materials
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Eyesight to read a variety of materials
Indoor/school office environment. Constant interruptions. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position and the qualifications needed. The job description should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by a person so classified and should not be taken as a comprehensive list of all qualifications that may be required. Cornerstone Education Group is an equal-opportunity employer.