Data Analysis & Visualization Vice President of Analytics
Remote for the ideal candidate; Metro Denver or Chicago is preferred
The Charter School Growth Fund (CSGF) is a leading nonprofit venture philanthropy fund that identifies the nation’s best public charter schools, funds their expansion, and helps to increase their impact. The portfolio includes 150 charter school networks that operate over 1,000 schools and serve more than 500,000 students in 31 states. We are committed to expanding the impact of schools that are closing achievement and opportunity gaps. Our investment strategy is like that of a nonprofit venture capital firm for public charter schools. The diverse “portfolio” of schools and leaders that we support include single-site charter schools as well as established networks that operate schools in several states. Ultimately, we believe the portfolio networks can serve more than one million students nationwide and in doing so, show how public schools can help students achieve excellent outcomes at scale.
This is an exciting time to join the Charter School Growth Fund. We are launching our next philanthropic fund in 2021, building on our 15-year track record of success. CSGF’s new five-year “Fund IV” will be larger in size and scope than previous funds, with a goal to continue to fuel charter sector growth, accelerate innovation, and strengthen long-term outcomes for students, particularly students of color and those from low-income backgrounds. Our new fund will continue to prioritize investments in leaders of color as our current portfolio is led by more than 50% leaders of color and more than 50% female leaders. We believe it is vital for the networks we support to be proximate to the lived experiences of the students and communities they serve.
Role: As the organization’s leader of data and analytics, the Vice President of Analytics will play a critical role in leveraging data to drive organizational decision-making and to support CSGF’s impact on the education sector. The VP of Analytics is responsible for the strategic thought partnership, data, insights, and analyses that CSGF, its portfolio, and its partners need to conduct their work at a high level. This senior role oversees a team responsible for collecting data from across the CSGF portfolio, providing timely access to this data and data visualizations that enable CSGF’s internal teams to drive their work. This is an ideal position for a senior leader who is looking for an opportunity to play a meaningful role in the movement to expand great schools that put low-income students on a path to college and career success. The role reports directly to the COO.
Team: CSGF’s Analytics team is a trusted partner in providing support to the Investment Management Team, Investor Relations Team, Impact Team, portfolio members, external partners, and the charter sector. The Analytics Team provides readily accessible, strategic, and actionable insights that drive organizational decision-making and performance. It also serves as an expert resource to internal and external stakeholders to ensure that CSGF provides a broader impact on the education sector. Analytics team members are highly collaborative, seek to continuously improve their practices, and leverage each other’s strengths to benefit the team and organization.
The responsibilities of the VP of Analytics include:
STRATEGY & LEADERSHIP
- Lead CSGF’s Analytics Team and deliver on CSGF’s core data and analytics needs
- Be the trusted voice and leader on data/analytics with CSGF’s internal team, including being viewed as the definitive voice on school performance and the impact the schools CSGF supports are making on student performance
- Lead analysis and monitoring of progress toward annual and multi-year CSGF goals
- Develop a short-term and long-term research agenda for the organization in alignment with CSGF’s overall long-term strategy
- Build and maintain an organization-wide culture of leveraging data to drive organizational insights and effectiveness
- Represent CSGF externally with funders, CSGF’s board, and other key partners; serve as a highly respected leader in data and analytics in the K-12 education sector
ANALYTICS & INSIGHTS
- Lead CSGF’s insights strategy as a foundational part of CSGF’s overall strategy
- Help CSGF develop perspective on key school performance and post-secondary outcome-related questions
- Oversee efforts to align on an organization-wide evaluation framework for each proposed investment, and for annual review of current investments
- Support the development of organizational dashboards and performance management metrics, frameworks and reporting tools
- Lead team that produces new data benchmarking reports and deep dive analyses with portfolio and funders
- Ensure that all performance frameworks, metrics, analyses, and reports are developed through a DEI lens
- Implement team’s strategy to ensure that CSGF has accessible, insightful and actionable analytics that drive organizational decision-making
- Lead team that delivers on the annual cycle of data work: data collection process, internal & external reporting, new applicant process, and internal academic analyses
TECHNOLOGY & INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- Lead CSGF’s technology support in partnership with external IT partner(s) to ensure each CSGF team member has the technology and support needed to carry out their work efficiently
- Drive technology investments and requirements to ensure that hardware & software needs for the organization are maintained and improved over time
- Build upon the base of current systems to realize “self-service” vision for CSGF to ensure all internal teams have access to accurate and actionable data on a real-time basis
- Deep commitment to CSGF’s mission
- At least five years’ experience leading high-functioning teams with responsibility for research, analytics, and/or data visualization/reporting in the public or private sector
- Ability to develop trust and exert influence across all levels of the organization and with external stakeholder and industry participants in support of CSGF’s goals
- Experience with data in an educational setting; experience in a charter school context strongly preferred
- Experience overseeing the construction of and maintenance of data visualization tools and systems; experience managing a data warehouse preferred
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and build relationships at the appropriate level for diverse groups of stakeholders, synthesizing information for maximum effect
- Strong quantitative skills with experience and demonstrated proficiency in managing large and/or challenging data sets
- Customer-service orientation; understand end-user needs
- Ability to travel frequently to Colorado office, if working remotely
WORKING AT CSGF
We are focused on hiring and developing great people and believe that building diverse perspectives across our team make us more effective in expanding our impact. (This is reflected in Our Commitment to Diversity Statement.) Our core values are:
- Results. We work relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Ideally, you thrive working in a self-directed manner in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
- Entrepreneurship. We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and risk. We rely on you to question conventional wisdom and think independently.
- Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards. We trust you will too.
- Respect. We appreciate the challenges faced by education entrepreneurs and recognize the limits of our own knowledge. We understand that our ultimate success depends on that of our partners. Your humility will be key to building trusted and authentic relationships.
- Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the best results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. We hope having fun at work is important to you and that you are a team player.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and education. The target salary range for this role is $155-175K+ annually. CSGF offers a very competitive package of benefits, including: health, life, disability, and dental insurance coverage; vacation/holidays and parental leave; and participation in CSGF’s 403(b) plan. Candidates must have permanent authorization to work in the US.
CSGF seeks candidates who can start as soon as possible.