Operations / Administration Chief Business Officer
Lewis-Palmer School District, located in Monument, CO, is looking for an Chief Business Officer for the 2022-23 school year. The Chief Business Officer provides fiscal leadership and oversignt for District programs and business services in order to ensure a strategic and sustainable future for Lewis-Palmer School District #38 to enhance the effectiveness of schools to maximize access to opportunities for all students. The leader in this role must demonstrate personal and professional growth necessary to amplify continuous improvement of District programs and services to schools and support for students.The leader in this role must demonstrate personal and professional growth necessary to amplify continuous improvement of District programs and services to schools and support for students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise the major functions of finance and business services: budget development and monitoring, contract oversight, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, procurement, financial systems management, risk management, and financial advisory to the board of education and district leadership team in accordance with board policy and relevant laws.
- Provide leadership for the development, maintenance, enhancements, and continual improvements to the district’s comprehensive financial data systems.
- Direct the receipt, management of investments and expenditures of the district’s funds to ensure proper and maximum returns on these funds. Forecast short-and long-range cash requirements and obligations as a basis for sound financial funding mechanisms.
- Direct the grants management programs to ensure maximum and effective participation in all available local, state and federal grants.
- Assure protection of the assets of the district by enforcing and promoting internal controls, internal auditing, and ensuring proper insurance coverage.
- Direct the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report and other reports as required by the board of education and state and federal agencies to assure compliance with the law. Direct the external audit processes.
- Direct the preparation and implementation of the district’s annual budget to ensure compliance with state laws and alignment with district goals.
- Apply a risk-management lens to all work, to include mitigating fiscal risk from a budgeting perspective, as well as applying risk management in an operational context.
- Plan for the efficient and effective use of resources; demonstrate evidence of application of creative initiative and purposeful planning to equitably allocate stretched financial resources.
- Interpret and explain the District’s financial position to the Board, staff and community. Preparation of necessary materials for the Board of Education as they pertain to this area of responsibility.
- Direct the administrative activities required for all financial aspects of budget override and school-bond issue elections.
- Initiate school board policy development on business and budget-related matters of the district.
- Act as the district’s representative in the purchase or sale of property.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with District staff, members of the community, and public agencies.
- Develop and foster an inclusive team atmosphere that enables individuals to actively collaborate and to reach quality decisions; strive to establish positive working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Communicate information about District finances and district business functions that is easily accessible, credible, and accurate.
- Hire and supervise highly competent individuals in positions that meet finance/business department and District goals while enhancing the skills of the individual and the team.
- Act as an advisor to the Superintendent on all matters relating to the business, financial and operational affairs of the District.
- Performance of other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Connecter and Bridge Builder
Connecting purposefully, intentionally, and masterfully with others in various ways is clearly a strength in your repertoire of skills as a fiscal and business executive and education leader. You express yourself with clarity, respect, and awareness in conversations and interactions with others.
You are committed to transparency and authenticity in your communication with stakeholders at every level. You invite, include, and engage at every turn in the spirit of equity and empowerment based on your deep skills as a relationship builder. You have a unique ability to distill complexities for stakeholders in essential operational areas.
Advocate for all Students
You contribute with intention and purpose to organizational relationships by challenging assumptions, understanding alternative perspectives and beliefs, addressing inequities, and employing a variety of strategies to develop trust across the organization. You recognize that fiscal and operational decisions impact every student, every family, and every educator in our district.
You foster, promote, and drive a culture of inclusion in our organization, and you work to ensure all individuals have a voice and a seat at the table.
You are able to build authentic relationships across all backgrounds and through a lens of authentic leadership.
Your experience has imbued in you the capacity and willingness to speak your philosophical truth and share your organizational beliefs without hesitation. Your commitment to our District’s vision and mission lives in your interactions in the field and with internal stakeholders.
You are willing to charge forward through honest and difficult conversations and actions to ensure all voices are heard and decisions are made equitably.
Strategic Change Leader
You have the ability to analyze conditions for change by considering education trends and geographical markets with a focus on stakeholder needs. You are confident in developing and communicating goals in support of the District’s vision and mission.
Your propensity to lead innovative practice, entrepreneurial thinking, and organizational design efforts is evident in everything you do. You thrive on leading organizational effectiveness by initiating, sponsoring, and implementing organizational change. You are confident in developing strategy and leading the team toward Lewis-Palmer School District’s collective north star.
Guardian of Trust
As a leader, your words and actions are consistent. You demonstrate trust and respect for others no matter what. You refuse to respond to external pressure in a way that is in conflict with your ethics. You understand deeply that trust must be earned.
You keep confidential information confidential, accept responsibility, maintain transparency and lead by example. As the Chief Business Officer for LPSD, your constant and consistent embodiment of this value means more to you than anything. Integrity and trust comprise the fulcrum upon which your success balances.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or related field; Master’s Degree preferred; Five years of fiscal management experience; Three years in a school district setting is preferred; Additional appropriate education may be substituted for two years of fiscal and/or operational management; Significant supervisory experience, including increasing breadth and complexity of supervisory responsibilities; Ability to work well with others in a diverse educational community and experience in bringing divided parties to a consensus decision; Must also possess and demonstrate expertise of relevant computer application skills (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint); excellent written and verbal communication skills; excellent presentation skills and comfort with exposure in a public forum.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: CPA certification is preferred.
This position is 261 days per year with pay commensurate with experience. This position is also eligible for a full benefits package. The minimum salary for this position is $130,000. In order to receive serious consideration, applications must be submitted on or before the deadline date of June 5, 2022. Interviews are anticipated to be held the week of June 13, 2022. The start date is negotiable, but no later than July 1, 2022.