Data Analysis & Visualization Data Engineer
The Charter School Growth Fund (CSGF) is a leading nonprofit venture philanthropy fund that identifies the nation’s best public charter schools, funds their expansion, and helps to increase their impact. The portfolio includes 150 charter school networks that operate over 1,000 schools and serve more than 500,000 students in 31 states. We are committed to expanding the impact of schools that are closing achievement and opportunity gaps. Our investment strategy is like that of a nonprofit venture capital firm for public charter schools. The diverse “portfolio” of schools and leaders that we support include single-site charter schools as well as established networks that operate schools in several states. Ultimately, we believe the portfolio networks can serve more than one million students nationwide and in doing so, show how public schools can help students achieve excellent outcomes at scale.
This is an exciting time to join the Charter School Growth Fund. We are launching our next philanthropic fund in 2021, building on our 15-year track record of success. CSGF’s new five-year “Fund IV” will be larger in size and scope than previous funds, with a goal to continue to fuel charter sector growth, accelerate innovation, and strengthen long-term outcomes for students, particularly students of color and those from low-income backgrounds. Our new fund will continue to prioritize investments in leaders of color as our current portfolio is led by more than 50% leaders of color and more than 50% female leaders. We believe it is vital for the networks we support to be proximate to the lived experiences of the students and communities they serve.
Role: The Data Engineer will play a critical role in overseeing the key systems that house data used by the entire organization. This role builds and maintains the infrastructure of our data warehouse that enables CSGF’s internal teams to drive their work and to support our portfolio members. This is an ideal position for an experienced systems and database expert who is looking for an opportunity to play a meaningful role in the movement to expand great schools that put low-income students on a path to college and career success. The role reports to the VP of Analytics.
Team: CSGF’s Analytics team is a trusted partner in providing support to the Investment Management Team, Investor Relations Team, Impact Team, portfolio members, external partners, and the charter sector. The Analytics Team provides readily accessible, strategic, and actionable insights that drive organizational decision-making and performance. It also serves as an expert resource to internal and external stakeholders to ensure that CSGF provides a broader impact on the education sector. Analytics team members are highly collaborative, seek to continuously improve their practices, and leverage each other’s strengths to benefit the team and organization.
The responsibilities of the Data Engineer include:
- Create and manage data architectures that integrate information from multiple sources using APIs, ETL processes, and other methods
- Prepare and deploy schema updates, data migration, and ETL scripts
- Design and develop database objects, stored procedures, views, functions, tables, and triggers; ensure their stability, reliability, and performance
- Perform regular database monitoring duties to ensure databases and servers remain stable, accessible, and secure
- Independently analyze and solve for database or server related issues in real time, collaborate with relevant parties to provide resolutions as necessary
- Own and develop knowledge of current technology stack and analyze and implement new features, fine-tuning, and changes or improvements
- Support the development of organizational dashboards, reporting tools, and tools for data access
- Support the team that delivers on the annual cycle of data work: data collection process, internal & external reporting, new applicant process, and internal academic analyses
- Assist in the completion of ad hoc projects by developing new queries to meet relevant reporting and visualization needs
- Work with VP of Analytics to manage Azure subscriptions, usage, and drive technology investments and requirements to ensure that hardware & software needs for the organization are maintained and improved over time
- Develop and maintains technical documentation for areas of responsibility
- Deep commitment to CSGF’s mission
- At least three years’ experience managing a data warehouse (back-end architecture, front-end interface, tables, views, stored procedures, triggers, et al)
- Experience with full-stack development, including front-end development, UX/UI, and cloud technologies
- Technical proficiency with SQL/T-SQL, SQL Server, Azure Virtual Machines, and Visual Studio/SQL Server Data Tools (SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS), and at least one other language to wrangle and clean data (e.g. R, Python)
- Strong quantitative skills with experience and demonstrated proficiency in managing large and/or challenging data sets; preferred experience wrangling varied, often highly variable, public datasets
- Knowledge of and experience working with K-12 educational data
- Customer-service orientation; understand end-user needs
WORKING AT CSGF
We are focused on hiring and developing great people and believe that building diverse perspectives across our team make us more effective in expanding our impact. (This is reflected in Our Commitment to Diversity Statement.) Our core values are:
- Results. We work relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Ideally, you thrive working in a self-directed manner in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
- Entrepreneurship. We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and risk. We rely on you to question conventional wisdom and think independently.
- Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards. We trust you will too.
- Respect. We appreciate the challenges faced by education entrepreneurs and recognize the limits of our own knowledge. We understand that our ultimate success depends on that of our partners. Your humility will be key to building trusted and authentic relationships.
- Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the best results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. We hope having fun at work is important to you and that you are a team player.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and education. The target salary range for this role is $110,000+ annually. CSGF offers a very competitive package of benefits, including: health, life, disability and dental insurance coverage; vacation/holidays and parental leave; and participation in CSGF’s 403(b) plan. Candidates must have permanent authorization to work in the US.
CSGF seeks candidates who can start as soon as possible.