This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
19 Oct 2018
Teacher Elementary Special Education Co-Teacher (Available Immediadtely)
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Elementary Special Education Co-Teacher (Available Immediately)
Boys Prep Bronx Elementary
Overview: About Public Prep
The Public Prep Network (PPN) is a nonprofit organization that develops single-sex elementary and middle public schools that pursue excellence through continuous learning and data-driven instruction. Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university.
Our network is currently comprised of three tuition-free single-sex public charter schools across five campuses and one tuition-free single-sex Pre-K. Our campuses are: Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School, Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School, Girls Prep Bronx Middle School, and Boys Prep Elementary School. The Pre-K program, PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Center, is housed inside of Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School.
Public Preparatory Network/Public Preparatory Academies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Why teach at the Public Preparatory Network
At Public Prep we believe that joy, warmth, and high levels of student engagement are the foundation of a school culture where students achieve academically and develop character strengths. In the words of one community member, “Every student, every family and every Girls Prep staff member plays an important part of our amazing school, a school filled with energy, personality, hardworking people and a great deal of commitment.”
We believe in order to do that, schools not only need to deliver meaningful academics through an engaging and rigorous way, but we understand the importance of incorporating arts, the sciences, community and strong core values into our program. Our goal each day is not to only stimulate the mind, but also to reach the whole child in providing a safe consistent environment to learn and grown in. Our staff believe children learn best when they gain self-confidence and purpose when a caring community of educators not only care about their academic achievements but are truly invested in them socially and emotionally.
Primary Function & Position Overview
Public Prep Special Education Teachers work alongside a General Education Teacher in equal partnership to consistently plan for, monitor the progress of, and be held accountable for the academic success of each of the 25 students in their class. The Teaching pairs use a variety of co-teaching models and meet regularly with their grade-level team members and other collaborators such as the Learning Specialists, English Language Learners Specialist, and the Speech and Language Therapist in order to address all students’ access to curriculum and learning goals. All Teachers also work closely with school aides, who provide non-academic support to the team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide instructional services for students as mandated on the IEP
- Compile and organize all documentation in preparation for IEP meetings
- Support students during small group interventions in and out of the classroom
- Co-plan, co-teach and co-assess along with the General Education Teacher
- Track IEP annual goal progress
- Attend and participate in IEP meetings
- Use assessment data to refine instructional practice
- Develop clearly defined processes and structures to co-plan, co-teach, assess, to individualize instruction and to discuss students’ access to curriculum and learning goals. Modifications, scaffolds and interventions align with a pre-designed, codified set of content standards and address students’ individual needs and learning styles.
- Utilize coaching tools and strategies that maximize their own performance and that of their students
- Seek continuous feedback and evaluation for themselves and students based on the development of individualized goals for performance that are specific, measurable, action-oriented, realistic and time-bound including but not limited to students’ formal IEP goals
- Develop systems that enable good stewardship of resources, i.e. collaborative processes that leverage the strength of all team members and fully utilize both teachers throughout the entire school day, maintaining records of students’ progress towards IEP goals, for communicating with families, for attending IEP meetings, and for ensuring appropriate accommodations are given to students during assessments and meeting with all other service providers.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- To serve as a Special Education Teacher at a Public Prep, you must meet one of the following criteria:
1. be certified in Special Education
2. have a Master’s degree in Special Education
3. be certified in another subject and grade level
4. at least 3 years’ experience teaching in public, private or parochial school
5. 2 years’ experience in TFA
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred
- Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
- Exceptional organization and planning skills
- Superior communication skills
- An ability to work collaboratively
- A commitment to single-sex education
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
Please be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter including examples of student work and/or data exemplifying student success.
How to ApplyPlease be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter including examples of student work and/or data exemplifying student success. Apply Here
454 total views, 1 today