Principal or Vice Principal Founding Principal/Director(a)
LEEP Dual Language Academy is a new public charter school that will offer two-way dual-language instruction in Spanish and English, with a challenging, content-rich (Core Knowledge) curriculum; a culturally responsive literary canon inclusive of Latino voices; and a warm and caring environment for teaching and learning. Opening in Fall 2019 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, LEEP Dual Language Academy will initially serve grades K-1, then gradually expand to grades K-5 and (later, pending state approval) K-8. All teachers and staff will be bilingual and biliterate, with adult school business conducted primarily in Spanish.
Our school model synthesizes a set of highly effective, research-based practices in dual language education, with an intensive (90-10) Spanish language immersion approach that has proven successful around the country but is generally not offered in New York City. We will surround this challenging pedagogy with an educational experience that builds caring teacher-student relationships, explores Latino and world cultures, and attends to the development of each child as una persona completa. To make this possible, we will carry out our work through structures and practices drawn from high-performing charter schools, so that our staff and students spend their time effectively and improve every day.
The Founding Principal/Director(a) is a proven instructional leader and dual-language educational expert responsible for the educational leadership of the school, including a strong emphasis on team-based implementation of teaching techniques and continuous professional development for all teachers and staff. The Founding Principal/Director(a) will set the groundwork for LEEP Dual Language Charter Academy’s long-term success as a place of high-quality teaching, rigorous learning, continuous development and improvement, and caring relationships. This position reports to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Deputy Executive Director as part of a three-person Senior Leadership Team. As part of this team leadership model, the Principal/Director(a) will be freed from operational responsibilities and empowered to focus on teaching and learning. This is a startup leadership opportunity to co-found a great public charter school and help lead the development and codification of a high-impact educational model.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Instructional and Academic Leadership
• Provide leadership to the school as a visible and accessible presence.
• Internalize and model LEEP values and “The LEEP Way” towards academic success.
• Lead the school’s educational program, including: 1.) a 90-10 two-way dual-language instructional model based on evidence-based practices, 2.) a coherent, culturally responsive, knowledge-rich curriculum and 3.) a “Pedagogy of Cariño” that informs classroom community-building, responsive behavioral practices, character education, social emotional learning, and school culture and traditions.
Teacher Recruitment and Continual Professional Development
• Oversee the selection, development, evaluation, and supervision of all teaching staff.
• Establish and lead a comprehensive adult development system, including: 1.) continuous training and review of professional knowledge and skills, 2.) observation, goal-setting, and coaching, leveraging video technology, 3.) deliberate and scheduled “Pro Time/TiemPRO” to plan, coach, practice, and collaborate, 4.) Hold teachers and staff accountable for high performance, personal improvement, and adherence to LEEP Dual Language Academy values, through ongoing communication and formal evaluations.
Family Engagement and Support
• Lead LEEP Dual Language Academy’s School/Family Compact
• Monitor school and classroom-level communication with families
• Plan and coordinate family meetings and special events
• Listen to families and respond to their concerns promptly and productively
• Model LEEP Dual Language Academy values in all interactions
• Welcome school visitors and confidently represent LEEP Dual Language Academy at board meetings, meetings with partner organizations, special events, community meetings, etc.
• As part of Senior Leadership Team, contribute to strategic planning about the future of the school and growing the LEEP Dual Language Academy model each year.
• Help explain and share the LEEP Dual Language Academy school model and the lessons learned to all stakeholders.
How to Apply
QualificationsRequired languages: Full professional proficiency in both Spanish and English (bilingual and biliterate) Required skills, experiences, and attributes:
- Knowledge of the research and research-based principles for effective dual-language education
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience in urban elementary or middle schools with dual language instruction and/or bilingual environment
- Leadership experience in a high-performing, dual-language school or program, as indicated by academic outcome data; school site leadership experience preferred
- Track record of success in coaching and developing effective teachers in a team-oriented, high-feedback environment
- Systems thinking and ability to analyze varied school models and instructional frameworks
- Experience with culturally responsive instruction; social-emotional/character skills development; or inclusive/restorative practices preferable
- Evidence of intellectual curiosity; liberal arts/humanities background and/or experience with classical, Latin American literature or Core Knowledge curriculum preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills
- Passion for equal educational opportunity and desire to lead a diverse school community without bias based on race, class, language, or other protected status
- “Cage-busting” mindset and willingness to challenge traditional practices with the flexibility afforded by the charter school governance model
- Personal growth orientation and commitment to student academic growth and adult development
Education: Master’s Degree preferred
Ven Con Nosotros: Únete a LEEPInterested and qualified candidates should send a Letter of Interest and résumé showing relevant experience to Gabrielle Mosquera, GMosquera@LEEPSchools.org. Please indicate “Founding Principal/Director(a)” in the subject line. Incomplete interest packages will not be reviewed. Qualified candidates will be contacted directly.
1063 total views, 1 today