Teacher Math Teacher
Our Why? Transformational Resistance of Systems of Oppression.
Our VISION: The world is ours.
Our MISSION: Authentic Education led by students, co-created with community, and guided by educators.
Our VALUES: Equity | Justice | Love | Community
A Little Background:
Starting in October 2017, a Community Design Team of students, families, educators, and community members met bi-monthly to design an innovative school for the community and by the community. Empower Community High School holds as its vision that our students will claim their rightful place as agents of change, growth and social progress. The world is ours, and we must educate and foster the scholars, writers, artists and innovators who will build a just and equitable world. Your task is to co-create and sustain a transformational school culture with students, educators, community partners, and families.
Work with us if the following questions excite you!
- How can I live and breathe a Liberatory Pedagogy?
- How can I use my extensive content knowledge to link Mathematics, culture, and community to social progress?
- How can I teach core content while developing the capacity in students to engage in transformational resistance?
- How can I enforce school practices that honor cultural differences and protect the dignity of every student and teacher?
- How can I inspire self-discipline?
- How can I use pedagogical philosophy to guide instructional strategies that create a sense of belonging for students, educators, families, and community partners?
- How can I use data to search for and treat root causes rather than symptoms (of both failure and success)?
- How can I perpetually deepen the quality of my learning and instruction?
Key Skills & Mindsets:
- Critical Consciousness
- Creative instructional practices incorporating critical pedagogy
- Highly reflective/open to try different things and learn from “failure”
- Commitment to decolonized mindsets and practices
- Commitment to reading and deepening knowledge of content and educational practice
- Demonstrably high social-emotional intelligence quotient
Education and Licensure
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Holds a Colorado teaching license or is currently eligible for one with the appropriate endorsement for this position
- A completed Human Resources file including transcripts, student teaching verification, previous work experience
- Condition of Employment: As a condition of employment, the individual selected for this position will be expected to complete the APS-sponsored Linguistically Diverse Educator (LDE) Certificate Program within the first three years of employment. (Contingent upon our waivers)
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between Empower or Aurora Public Schools and the employee and is subject to change as the needs of the District, ECHS, and requirements of the job change. Empower Community High School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position is subject to APS policy, rules, and regulations.
People of color encouraged to apply