Research and Policy Research & Development Program Manager
Background NYC Skills Lab
NYC Skills Lab is an initiative funded by the GE Foundation and managed by the NYC Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Readiness (OPSR). The purpose of NYC Skills Lab is to help educators and their partners, both employer and youth service professionals, to incorporate 21st century skills development into in and out-of-school learning.
The Research & Development Program Manager (R & D Manager), will be an integral part of the NYC Skills Lab team. This role will serve as the NYC Skills Lab’s bridge between research and practice. The external research and internal documentation conducted by the R&D Manager will inform program support provided to schools. The expectation for the R & D Manager is that s/he will not only be a consumer of knowledge, but a producer of knowledge.
The NYC Skills Lab offers targeted support to educators and their partners through three programs:
The Skills Fellowship coaches innovative teachers who desire to enhance their teaching practices by making 21 st century skills development more prominent in their instruction, feedback and assessment practices.
The Workforce Alliance coaches diverse school professionals, charged with facilitating work-based learning (i.e. internships) at a school-wide level, to support students in transferring developed 21st century skills into internship placements.
Integrated School Partnerships
The Integrated School Partnership supports schools to integrate youth-service organizations into their school structure, with a focus on providing students meaningful and effective 21 st century skill building experiences.
Research & Development Manager Primary Roles
Research and development generated from within the NYC skills Lab’s three program areas
- Attending NYC Skills Lab program convenings and team meetings to document, share & discuss best practices
- Managing the documentation and synthesis of information and insights flowing from all three programs
- Leading both group and individual meetings with NYC Skills Lab staff to share insights gained to drive program effectiveness
- Strategizing creative ways to share program learnings externally with various stakeholders
Research and development generated from external research
- Researching current and best practices for enhancing educator and partner capacity to foster 21st century skills development
- Share relevant external research found with NYC Skills Lab staff
Examples of Expected Work Deliverables
- Digital library of research on the role and importance of 21 st century skills development in post secondary preparation
- Submitted research articles for publication on the impact of 21 st century skills development in postsecondary preparation and emerging ideas
- Informal and formal reports such as White Papers to share internal research & promising practices
- Course offering proposals to higher education institutions focused on training educators to teach and make 21st century skills development more prominent in everyday student learning
- Visual graphics that portray documented student performance data
- Deep interest in NYC Skills Lab work and 21st century skills (see framework used, pg. 3)
- Preferred work experience in the K-12 setting ? 2+ years of doing research & development work for educational programs
- Familiarity with competency-based education, mastery-based learning, project-based learning & instructional design
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills, including public speaking ? Excellent analytical skills and experience analyzing and interpreting data
- Ability to work as a part-time consultant with potential for full-time (living in NYC)
Additionally the ideal candidate will have:
- Interests in integrating 21st century skills development into everyday student learning
- Ability to seamlessly translate research into practical application
- Creative eye for identifying best practices
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter that highlights your most relevant experiences, as well as the reason for your interest in the position. Application documents should be sent to Raimi Ade-Salu at email@example.com.
364 total views, 1 today