Research and Policy School Improvement & Equity Specialist
REPORTS TO: Director of Student Services
The Colorado Charter School Institute (CSI) is a statewide charter school authorizer whose mission is to foster high-quality public-school choices offered through charter schools, particularly schools that are focused on closing the achievement gap for at-risk students. Governed by a board of nine members appointed by the Governor and Commissioner of Education, CSI currently serves a diverse portfolio of 42 schools across the state of Colorado serving over 20,000 students. CSI is uniquely positioned to serve and promote charter school innovation in communities throughout Colorado and to be a leader in improvements in authorizer practices. CSI aspires to continue growing the quality and quantity of its portfolio of schools in Colorado in response to the need for high quality, innovative charter school options. Our organization is at an extraordinary point of opportunity and is poised to make additional systemic changes that will yield improvements within the portfolio’s overall student achievement.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed as they are received. This position is non-classified and is not subject to appeal rights.
The Colorado Charter School Institute (CSI) is committed to creating and sustaining a portfolio of high-quality school options that meet the needs of all students. CSI is seeking passionate, equity-oriented School Improvement & Equity Specialist candidates to assist CSI in furthering the organization’s mission of increasing access and equity for students across all CSI schools. This position will collaborate with other staff to align school continuous improvement initiatives and apply principles of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) to facilitate intentional changes within our schools through to targeted supports that lead to measurable improvements in equity and access. The School Improvement & Equity Specialist will lead CSI’s work on early-childhood initiatives to improve outcomes for our youngest students.
Strong candidates will be high-capacity individuals with an authentic commitment to DEI, challenge the status quo, and hold others accountable to prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion. This position requires high-levels of collaboration, working in cross-department teams, excellent communication skills, and the ability to relate to school staff.
Please see below for a complete position description:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ROLE-SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Advance CSI’s mission of increasing access and equity for students across all CSI schools.
- Support and advance equity across the organization
- Lead improvement activities with a focus on equity and access for special populations (SPED, ELL, GT, 504) and historically educationally disadvantaged groups (minority, FRL).
- Further the strategic vision for CSI’s Equity Report and corresponding tiered supports for schools.
- Analyze school Equity Report data to develop training and supports.
- Collaborate with the Evaluation and Assessment Department to align school improvement efforts with a focus on equity.
- Provide oversight and access to resources for school-wide systems of supports, including discipline, Positive Behavioral Interventions, Restorative Justice, and positive culture and community.
- Lead training, technical assistance, and compliance monitoring for dropout and re-engagement initiatives, including homeless, child welfare services, and related program grants.
- Increase early-childhood equity initiatives through training, technical assistance, and compliance monitoring for initiatives including school readiness, READ Act, and the Colorado Preschool Program.
- Ensure that all training, technical assistance, and compliance monitoring includes tiered processes and actions based on school performance, including serving as a Case Manager for schools.
- Coordinate and facilitate the development of the cooperative efforts between schools and other community agencies in providing services to students.
- Collaborate with the SS Department to provide schools regular communication and customer service in all school program areas
- Collaborate with Student Services Department to support the training, technical assistance, and compliance monitoring of all school program areas.
- Provide school performance and operational evaluation for inclusion in the CSI Annual Review of Schools for all managed programs.
- Participate in the review of all charter applications as a member of the CSI Review Team.
- Provide operational support for the Director of Student Services.
- In coordination with the Data Submissions unit, provide technical assistance and validate programmatic data for state and federal reporting.
As an employee of the Colorado Charter School Institute (State of Colorado), you will have access to a variety of benefits to include medical, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation and sick time, flexible scheduling, a work-life balance culture, no-cost life and disability insurance (with additional paid options), Flex Spending and Health Savings Account options, professional development opportunities, wellness offerings, a performance based bonus and membership in Colorado Public Employees’ Retirement Association (PERA).
CSI INCLUSION STATEMENT
As a statewide charter school authorizer, CSI recognizes that autonomy and diversity can drive innovation and improved outcomes, both in our schools and in our organization. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture and strive to demonstrate this commitment in our recruitment efforts. We value the unique contributions that result from different perspectives and experiences as they make us stronger. CSI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on gender, race, color, religion or belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
At a minimum, we are looking for the following:
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in one or more school programs
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience developing and implementing training resources and procedures
- Experience managing multiple ongoing programs or projects with internal and external stakeholders
- Familiarity and experience with state and federal laws associated with exceptional students
- All final candidates must successfully pass a thorough criminal background check.
Ideal candidates will have some, or all, of the following education, skills, and abilities:
- Master’s Degree in Education, Social Services/Work & Counseling, Social Justice, Youth Studies, or related fields of study preferred
- A proven ability to proactively improve systems and identify potential internal and external customer issues
- A proven ability to design and facilitate effective trainings to a variety of stakeholders
- Experience with data analysis and statistics
- Detail-oriented with demonstrated ability to follow-through on projects
- Experience developing, implementing, and evaluating process documentation and resources for various stakeholders.
LOCATION & TRAVEL
- Denver/Front Range/Fort Collins/Colorado Springs
- Statewide travel is typically required, although due to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel requirements are currently significantly reduced, and CSI Staff are provided the option to work remotely at this time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment includes a standard office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. CSI may add to, modify, or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable.
- Remote interview process
- Mostly virtual meetings for the time being
- Social distancing guidelines in place (when in the office)
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place (at the physical office)