This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
26 Oct 2022
Teacher Science Teacher (Middle School)
POSITION: 6th & 7th Grade Science Teacher (2022-2023 school year)
- Bachelor’s degree in Education required
- Master’s degree desirable
- New York State Certification required
- Three years teaching experience preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively and an interest in an interdisciplinary approach to education
- Experience teaching a testing grade preferred
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The classroom teacher is responsible for teaching a group of children in science, planning to meet the needs of the entire group as well as individual children. The ability to attend to the social/emotional, physical and intellectual development of each child is his/her primary responsibility. An ability to work with some children that are English Language learners and have special education needs will be important.
- The teacher is responsible for designing, organizing and maintaining a materials-based classroom that reflects the curriculum and current work of the children. An ability to create and prepare materials that serve the curriculum is essential, including the safe, proper use of laboratory equipment and other hands-on materials as needed.
- The teacher is responsible for developing curriculum in all areas based on the New York State standards and children’s developmental capacities and needs. A current understanding of literacy learning, mathematics and interdisciplinary curriculum development in social studies, science and the arts will be important. A multicultural understanding must be reflected in the curriculum developed for children. Special emphasis is placed on social studies as the core of classroom life and learning.
- The Science teacher will also work with Intervention Specialists, ELL Teachers push-in Special Education Teachers and other members of the instructional team as needed.
- Each teacher meets weekly with their curriculum coordinator and participates in weekly grade level meetings and weekly staff meetings after school. As part of a diagnostic team, teachers work with specialists, nurses, and social workers, and meet with parents and other family members as necessary.
- Teachers are required to meet with parents twice yearly for individual conferences and to be available for additional conferences where needed. Teachers and parents work together to increase each other’s knowledge of the children. There will be two written comprehensive reports on children each year.
- Teachers are expected to perform additional duties and class coverage as assigned.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
ACADEMY OF THE CITY CHARTER SCHOOL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, ETHNIC ORIGIN, SEX, OR DISABILITY IN ITS EMPLOYMENT POLICIES.
How to ApplyThere are two ways to apply:
- Through the job's Indeed link.
- By email (please include the job title in the subject line, attach a resume in PDF or DOC format, and include information about your NYS certification status if not on your resume)