Operations / Administration Senior People Experience Director, Equity and Learning
The Senior People Experience Director, Equity & Learning role offers a unique opportunity to be a change agent who drives the diversity, belonging, inclusion, and equity (DBIE) work at City Year New York (CYNY) and reports directly to the Managing Director, People & Operations. They will partner with each department to co-develop learning, policies, and engagement practices that enhance the quality of services delivered to external stakeholders and students. This role requires strategic collaboration across the organization and externally in order to execute CYNY’s comprehensive strategy towards anti-racism. This strategy includes aligning CYNY’s service model with culturally responsive and restorative practices; ensuring that diverse members of our community experience a sense of belonging and ownership of the organization; and leveraging Community Schools to promote greater equity in the NYC school system.
In close partnership with CYNY’s Senior Leadership Team, People team, and the Learning & Instruction team, the Senior People Experience Director will: continually monitor and assess CYNY’s progress towards DBIE goals; identify existing barriers to engagement in DBIE work; and align all CYNY specific efforts with City Year’s national DBIE initiatives. Recognizing that this work will be multi-year and may evolve over time, a successful candidate will work to set manageable annual priorities that steer the site towards becoming an anti-racist organization.
Coaching, Facilitation & Capacity Building (40%)
You will cultivate restorative spaces for CYNY staff and AmeriCorps members and build their capacity to address equity challenges through coaching and facilitation of DBIE learning spaces.
- Facilitate trainings, affinity groups, and stakeholder meetings (virtual and in-person) utilizing a DBIE lens, incorporating DBIE values into agenda design, materials, tools, and resources
- Lead all aspects of the CYNY DBIE Committee including member recruitment, selection, goal setting, and execution
- Support department heads and staff cohorts in creating and upholding their individual commitments to serve as change agents who enact role-specific actions in pursuit of anti-racism
- Work closely with cohorts of staff who manage AmeriCorps members to operationalize and implement DBIE learning into day-to-day work
Content Curation & Thought Partnership (15%)
You will identify, develop, and curate responsive content that contributes to an overall organizational learning culture that prioritizes relationships among team members, enables collaboration, and creates a sense of belonging.
- Stay informed of the latest research, news, and best practices around race equity in the sector and integrate any new findings into the perspectives that the team shares with stakeholders, partners, and clients
- Secure external facilitators to foster dialogue (cultural competence, social justice, identity work, etc.) among staff and corps to amplify learning and support
- Provide resources for directors, managers and team members related to DBIE issues, helping find solutions that benefit the staff and organization
- Lead ongoing curation and organization of core content that is aligned with each element of CYNY’s anti-racism strategy
- Recommend annual DBIE goals that will further CYNYs’ progress on our journey to become an anti-racist organization
Data & Project Management (25%)
You will rigorously track and analyze data, design program/project evaluation metrics, and make strategic shifts in response to stakeholder needs.
- Create, leverage and drive data and metrics (such as Culture Amp Staff & AmeriCorps Member Engagement Survey results) to inform CYNY’s approach to DBIE, hold leaders accountable and communicate priorities
- Work closely and align with Learning and Instruction team to evaluate trainings and corps programming through a DBIE lens
Network Engagement & Partnership Development (10%)
You will identify and nurture opportunities to connect with diverse organizations, thought partners, and stakeholders to achieve collective impact.
- Attend national meetings and conferences to represent CYNY and maintain connected with other leaders in the field (e.g., professional association and educational groups, and professional development efforts)
- Form and cultivate relationships with key strategic partners, external allies, and community leaders
- Participate in cross-organizational networks to align CYNY’s equity work with peer community-based organizations and to support sector-wide accountability to equity and anti-racism commitments
- Support and collaborate with the CYNY Senior Leadership Team and City Year’s national Office of Equity in the development of protocols for reporting of bias-related incidents
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with headquarters staff to align site-based goals and Office of Equity efforts
Organizational Initiatives and Site-Support (10%)
Serve as a site-level leader by supporting cross-departmental collaboration and contributing to the achievement of Site Operating Goals
- Model leading at City Year New York with equity mindsets and adhering to all community expectations set for the staff and corps
- Partner with City Year New York’s departments and staff to ensure that site-wide goals are met, including, but not limited to, the AmeriCorps member applicant interview process, confirmed member engagement, stakeholder engagement, event and service day participation, and cross-departmental committees
- Attend overnight conferences as well as participate in additional engagement and training activities throughout the year
This role is a fit if you…
- Have designed programs in a highly collaborative environment to support the needs of individuals and teams on an equity learning journey
- Have a successful record of influence, community building, networking, and deploying effective programs for diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Are unwavering about the critical and impactful role that anti-racism plays in the learning and development of all students
- Expertly design effective, interactive, accessible, and inclusive race and equity trainings with clear learning outcomes for adult learners or young adults
- Are experienced in translating data and analytics to develop insights, tell stories, drive decisions, and measure overall impact
- Can effectively employ data analysis and have the ability to see where diversity & inclusion issues and initiatives intersect with other company practices
- Skillfully communicate and present ideas with clarity, credibility, humility, and tact; lead with “the why”; incorporate vision into messaging; and tailor messaging to audience
- Can navigate gray areas and thrive in ambiguity and change and are energized by capacity building projects driven by the collective effort of peers
- Are comfortable in a variety of circumstances and do not shy away from difficult topics or honest conversations
- Are accomplished at handling complex people relations issues with discretion and guiding successful conflict resolution across all levels of an organization
- Consistently anticipate and plan for questions, listen carefully, provide constructive feedback, and remain open and responsive to feedback from others
- Usually take initiative and operate in a proactive and solution-oriented manner, identify the information needed to solve a problem, link decisions to potential consequences and know when to escalate or seek guidance
- Are connected to the values of servant leadership, belief in the power of young people, social justice, empathy, teamwork, and excellence
Full time employees will be eligible for all benefits including vacation and sick days and organization holidays. You may participate in all benefit programs that City Year establishes and makes available to eligible employees, under (and subject to all provisions of) the plan documents that govern those programs. Currently, City Year offers medical, dental and vision, life, accidental death and dismemberment and disability coverage, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), other benefits including 401(k) plan(s) pursuant to the terms and conditions of company policy and the 401(k) plan document. For more information, click here.