Operations / Administration Senior Planning Manager
FULL SALARY RANGE: Level 15 (minimum: $84,444 – mid-point: $104,252 – maximum: $124,060)
The maximum placement for new hires is based upon experience and typically does not exceed the mid-point of the range
STANDARD HOURS PER WEEK: 40
LOCATION: Thornton, CO
SUMMARY: Responsible for a wide range of activity related to the facility planning and admissions functions of the district. Manage the district’s short and long range facility planning efforts, including management of the Geographic Information System (GIS), projecting enrollment for all schools, management of the district’s housing development database, new development review, site planning and real estate acquisition and disposal. Manage the admissions processes including the new student enrollment, schools of choice and school transfer processes among others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Lead, implement and manage the district’s short and long range planning efforts. Provide professional guidance and expertise in planning-related issues to district leadership, parents and community members. Collaborate with city planners, developers and design firms regarding school planning issues. Represent the district at local councils, commissions, planning committees and boards.
2. Manage the development, implementation and operation of the district’s GIS school planning systems, housing inventory databases, district address database, demographic data and other databases used for planning purposes. Provide data to other departments and staff as needed.
3. Research, analyze and determine need for boundary changes and determine which schools are open for Choice applications, providing optimum use of existing facilities. Facilitate and provide support to the district’s long range planning committees. Serve as active district liaison regarding boundary changes, enrollment, long and short range planning.
4. Lead, implement and manage the district admissions processes including the Schools of Choice Program, School Transfers, Declaration of Residence, home school and foreign exchange programs. Provide guidance to school staff and coordinate quarterly staff meetings. Provide counsel to staff and public on procedures and policies. Monitor, track, and report student movement. Review appeals and coordinate with Chief Operating Officer’s (COO) office.
5. Develop facilities master plan to analyze the makeup of the district at total build out including future school sites and five-year and 20 year total build-out enrollment forecasts for all schools. Determine space needed to accommodate projected enrollments, new programs and need for mobile classroom units.
6. Assist with the development and maintenance of a space utilization model to provide for better utilization of district facilities. Work with the COO to determine the variance between capacity and enrollment. Develop recommendations for modular housing plans and constructing new school facilities and recommend acquisition/disposition of land based on land needs with relation to enrollment centers.
7. Analyze, compile, and prepare responses to residential development referrals from local municipalities as to the impact of new growth on existing schools and the need for public land dedications for new schools. Oversee the cash-in-lieu of land dedication for public school sites process. Respond to inquiries regarding site ownership, easements and IGA’s etc. Work with consultants to perform site analysis including providing legal descriptions, surveys and other documents as required.
8. Maintain real estate records of district-owned facilities. Ensure newly executed legal documents are recorded as appropriate. Research site ownership, availability for and accessibility to utility services. Participate in and provide support with negotiations regarding land acquisition and disposition. Represent the district at real estate closings and coordinate legal counsel for real estate matters. Provide comments and clarification to pending plats, referrals, and provision for adequate school access, site preparation, and municipal obligations. Contract with and monitor performance of professional consultants for necessary services including real estate due diligence.
9. Analyze census and other data to determine the need for re-districting Board of Education Director District boundaries and for other staff uses. Develop and prepare re-districting alternatives for presentation to staff, Superintendent and Board of Education.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in urban/ regional planning, GIS or related field.
• Master’s degree in public administration, urban and regional planning or other related field preferred
• Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in school, urban or regional planning and/or GIS.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
• Criminal background check required for hire.
• Ability to frequently travel among district facility school locations.
• American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification or GIS Certification Institute (GISP) certification preferred or other professional certifications as appropriate.
• Membership in the Colorado Educational Planners Association (CEPA), GIS Colorado (GISCO), American Planning Association (APA) preferred and other professional organizations as appropriate.
All applicants (current district employees and external applicants) should list any and all work experience, including current district experience, when completing the employment application. Please include job titles and duties that you held while doing that job. Since the Human Resource department uses the application to screen for minimum qualifications required for each job, it is important to have a complete application so you will be considered for the position you are applying for.
The salary listed is for full time positions (1.0 FTE). This salary will be adjusted, as needed, based upon the FTE. Administrative employees’ salary will be commensurate on the employees’ education and/or work experience. For additional information, please review our Administrative Compensation Program or review our Administrative Salary Schedule.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools is committed to providing an environment that promotes a healthy employee population able to serve our students at the highest level. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as other programs for benefit eligible employees. The employee assistance program, voluntary life insurance through PERA, and 401(k), 403(b) & 457(b) plans are available to all employees regardless of hours worked and are available immediately (upon hire date).
To learn more about our benefits, including paid time off, please see our Benefits Overview.
THIS POSTING IS NOT INCLUSIVE OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION.