Operations / Administration Senior Program Manager Y3+, Bay
Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the power of youth in under-resourced communities to build Career success, Entrepreneurial mindsets, and Opportunity. We help students become the CEO of their own lives
BUILD’s unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As students journey through high school and continue to grow their businesses, BUILD helps them explore college and career options, and assists students with the college application process. Entrepreneurship is the spark – college, career, and life success are the goals.
BUILD currently serves approximately 2,000 high school students annually at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City and Boston. Our new digital offerings are reaching up to 15,000 students in 50 cities. For more information, please visit www.build.org.
BUILD is made up of a diverse, results driven and passionate team who believe in the potential of every student and the power of entrepreneurship to transform the education landscape. We work in a collaborative environment where perseverance, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged and celebrated. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity, equity and inclusion, including cross-cultural understanding. Kindness, empathy and respect are at the forefront of the way we treat each other, our students, our teachers and our supporters. We believe in the potential of every student and are dedicated to breaking down the educational, economic and social barriers that stand in the way of their long-term success. The remarkable young men and women whom we serve are at the center of everything we do. We are intentional about our culture so that we can best support them.
Reporting to the Bay Area Program Director, the Senior Program Manager (SPM) will play a leading role in developing strong partnerships and offering high-quality educator training and coaching for school and community-based partners in the Bay Area. The SPM will be primarily responsible for training, coaching, and relationship management. The SPM will collaborate with multiple stakeholders at BUILD to cultivate a culture of teamwork, excellence, and learning among existing and future BUILD educators. Working in collaboration with the Program Director and other BUILD staff, the SPM will ensure that each partner in their portfolio is operating effectively and achieving outcomes in alignment with BUILD’s program model, mission, and values. In collaboration with the National Director of College & Career Success and Pathways Director the SPM will also develop content, as needed, for BUILD’s Year 3+ program that are both teacher-driven and student-driven for in-person, blended, and digital environments: The SPM will support the cultivation of new partnerships through networking and active engagement in the larger community.
Training, Coaching and Managing (30%)
- Develop positive trusting relationships with educators, students, administrators, volunteers, staff, and board members by demonstrating care, respect, and high expectations
- Collaborate with BUILD staff regionally and nationally to provide culturally responsive training for educators and volunteers in effective instructional practices for blended learning with under-resourced youth
- Provide ongoing coaching for a cohort of 4-8 educators in year one, eventually increasing to 12-15 over the next 2-4 years, as capacity allows
- Manage and coach Program Associate to outcomes
- Managing/hosting year 3 workshops
School & Community Partnerships (20%)
- Foster a culture of belonging, trust, effective communication, perseverance, collaboration, and overall excellence across partner sites
- Support regional team in developing and managing partnerships to ensure effective and sustainable implementation of BUILD offerings
Program Implementation, Evaluation & Development (40%)
- Utilize data to identify promising practices, celebrate successes, surface areas of improvement, and recommend strategies to promote regional success
- Participate in a national cohort of Senior Program Managers implementing and testing BUILD’s evolving model for integration into existing courses and Career Technical Education (CTE) pathways
- Support implementation and improvement of BUILD training and coaching model
Instructional Design and Curriculum Development (10%):
- In collaboration with the National Director of College & Career Success and Pathways Director, develop content, as needed, for BUILD’s Year 3+ program that are both teacher-driven and student-driven for in-person, blended, and digital environments:
- Develop original curricula, with the guidance of the Director of Career Pathways, That has alignment with
- Project-based learning with a focus on student agency and engagement
- 21st Century Skills
- Anti-bias/social justice K-12 education trends
- Design Thinking framework
- Utilize data to identify promising practices, celebrate successes, surface areas of improvement, and strategies to promote regional success
- BA or BS degree in education or youth development, or related field or commensurate experience. Master’s degree is a plus.
- 5+ years of classroom teaching experience or non -profit, direct service working with youth.
- Success with project-based learning and blended learning.
- At least 2+ years managing or coaching educators strongly preferred.
- High cultural competence serving diverse populations and students from under-resourced communities.
- Self-starter, thrives in a fast-paced environment, loves collaboration, and has a sense of humor.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, creativity, and strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- 10% travel for regional and national gatherings; monthly on-site school visits to each partner school.
- BUILD requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying medical exemption or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
Successful candidates will demonstrate BUILD’s Core Values and competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
BUILD’s Core Values:
- Keep Students at the Center – As BUILDers, we hold an unwavering passionate commitment and belief in the power and potential of youth. Our organization exists to serve students. We seize each opportunity to contribute to the foundation of knowledge, skills, and networks from which students can build extraordinary lives. Our operating principles and decisions focus on what is in the best interest of our students.
- Bring the Spark – As BUILDers, we excel in the entrepreneurial Spark Skills that we teach our students – Communication, Collaboration, Problem Solving, Innovation, Grit and Self-Management. We communicate through transparent and honest dialogue. We cherish teamwork, tenacity, and thinking outside the box. We demonstrate a relentless pursuit of excellence and approach work with a positive can do attitude. When we bring the spark we achieve great things together, and we model the way for our students.
- Bridge Communities – As BUILDers, we develop and foster relationships in service of creating access and opportunities for our students, staff, and stakeholders. We value all who come to the table as partners to maximize our collective impact. By connecting the communities in which we work, we build empathy, equity, and social capital.
- Promote Diversity and Social Action – As BUILDers, we understand that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters, but what matters even more is Action. We strive to create equity of voice, access, influence and power across lines of difference – both in and beyond BUILD, specifically for groups that have been historically denied social and economic justice. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. We welcome, celebrate, and embrace the unique expressions and contributions of us all – our backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, language, sexual orientation, and social class.
- Strategic Thinking – Take into account and analyze various points of view and pieces of data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context.
- Relationship-Building/Relationships Management – Utilize effective interpersonal skills and techniques to reach mutually beneficial goals over time.
- Entrepreneurialism – Demonstrate comfort with risk- and initiative-taking in order to achieve unique and aggressive goals.
- Creativity/Innovation – Envision new ideas that transcend traditional approaches and practices to move work forward.
- Qualitative Analysis – Review non-numeric, often subjective, data sets in order to recognize patterns, identify additional information or data needed, and draw conclusions.
- Time Management – Effectively prioritize and execute projects based on time estimates and relative importance.
- Full Time/Exempt
- Location: Bay Area (East Bay and Peninsula)
- Frequent travel between local sites is required so employees should have their own vehicle for transportation (valid proof of insurance required). Mileage for work-related travel beyond the normal commute will be reimbursed at the stipulated IRS rate.
- Occasional travel is required during the year for college tours and visits to BUILD sites and gatherings nationally.
The salary for the Senior Program Manager ranges from $73-80k in accordance with BUILD’s equity focused salary bands. BUILD offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees. This includes employer paid medical, dental & vision coverage, flexible spending accounts (FSA), employer paid life insurance, and a 403(b) plan with match. In addition, eligible BUILD employees qualify for generous vacation, sick, paid Federal holidays, and December 24 through January 1 off, a flexible work environment, professional development and additional stipends for stretch projects.