Teacher Special Education Teacher
Founded in 2006, STRIVE Preparatory Schools (STRIVE Prep) is a Denver-based community of free, open enrollment, public charter schools committed to providing every student with an excellent, college-preparatory education. We believe that students from all backgrounds deserve a college preparatory education regardless of race, economic circumstance or previous academic achievement. We are committed to preparing all students for educational success from kindergarten through college and career by challenging them to realize their full potential through high expectations in a safe, rigorous, and compassionate learning environment with shared accountability among students, families and staff.
Our teachers, leaders, faculty and staff clear a path for all families to have access to a high-quality school that’s just down the street, not across town. By building great schools in Far Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Denver, we will create depth of impact and long-lasting community change.
At STRIVE Prep, transformation is a choice that has led to:
- The opening of 11 free, public charter schools within Denver Public Schools (DPS) throughout Far Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Denver.
- A shared vision of making a college prep education for all students in our community the norm, rather than the exception, by growing from 11 schools serving 3,500 students to 17 schools serving 7,500 students by the year 2022.
- A commitment to serve all students from the neighborhoods in which we operate, whereby approximately 97% of STRIVE Prep students identify as students of color, 91% of students qualify for free or reduced lunch, 42% are English Language Learners and 12% receive Special Education services.
- One or more STRIVE Prep schools consistently ranking in the top 10 high performing secondary schools within DPS since the DPS School Performance Framework was introduced.
- The welcoming of any scholar from kindergarten through twelfth grade who desires to STRIVE for college. Because STRIVE Prep participates in the DPS SchoolChoice process, enrollment is open to any student in the communities we serve regardless of race, economic circumstance or previous academic achievement.
About STRIVE Prep – Federal:
- Federal was the first STRIVE Prep campus to serve the Denver community, opening in 2006 with an inaugural class of sixth graders.
- STRIVE Prep – Federal has a strong, inclusive Special Education program that relies on intensive collaboration between general education and special education teachers to support all students. We are also home to a Multi-Intensive Needs Center that serves students with significant cognitive and physical disabilities.
- Instructional culture at Federal includes a robust data-driven teaching model and observation-feedback cycles on a minimum biweekly basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, review and implement Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) for students with needs, including scholars academic needs and emotional or behavioral disorders.
- Effectively progress monitor students and gather evidence in order to deliver specialized instruction and supports that are aligned to students’ individualized goals.
- Establish systems and routines in order to create a safe, purposeful, and welcoming environment for students of all abilities.
- Take responsibility for the safety and learning of all students in the school.
- Lead a student advisory at the beginning and end of each school day, and serve as the main point of contact and advocate for students in your advisory.
- Communicate regularly and often with families to both solicit their input and share student social and academic progress.
- Plan and teach one section of Reader’s Workshop or a specific intervention course (Math, ELA, or ELD).
- Assist in planning and support of school-wide events including community/morning meetings, dances, and field trips.
- Provide supervision of students during a daily break or lunch duty.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff and/or grade level meetings.
- Submit lesson-plans on a weekly basis.
- Participate in STRIVE Prep’s Summer Training Institute as well as professional development throughout the school year.
Our Aspiring Teachers:
- Consciously choose to teach and transform the lives of middle school scholars every day.
- Proudly hold a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree (required) and a license to teach Special Education in Colorado, or be able to:
- Add a Special Education Endorsement to a current Colorado Teacher License; OR
- Transfer a Special Education license from another state; OR
- Enroll in an alternative licensure program to obtain a Special Education license.
- Read more about the available pathways to becoming a Qualified Special Education Teacher.
- Understand, appreciate and can pull from experience teaching in an urban setting (strongly preferred).
- Speak Spanish or have experience working with bilingual students (strongly preferred).
- Commit to constant growth and reflection as educators and professionals through regular coaching and professional development.
- Dedicate themselves to the educational success of all students, not some students.
- Bring enthusiasm, professionalism and positivity to their classrooms and our adult community.
- Assume the best in others and are willing to have courageous conversations in order to do what is best for students.
- Work hard and approach challenges as opportunities for improvement.
- Set high expectations for themselves and others and a willingness to hold themselves and others to those expectations.
What we Offer our Teachers:
- Ongoing coaching and professional development.
- 120 minutes of structured planning time built into the school day to plan the highest quality lessons.
- A laptop and access to classrooms equipped with Smartboards and document cameras.
- Competitive compensation package and annual performance based raises.
- Participation in the Colorado PERA retirement program including a PERA 401k contribution option.
- Funding of 100% of individual medical benefits and a wide range of insurance plans.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
STRIVE Prep is an equal opportunity employer.
Visit our Careers Page at http://www.striveprep.org/join-our-team/teach-at-strive/ to learn more about what to expect in the hiring process and who we need.
How to ApplyTo apply click here!
221 total views, 1 today